- This event has passed.
Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Event
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in the Home Buying Transaction
2 CE Credits for REALTORs®
Instructor: Nikki Maline, Walking Mountains Sustainability (Energy Smart Colorado program)
The intended audience is real estate agents; appraisers, contractors, builders, utility program managers and community development organizations may also find the course valuable. This course connects local energy organizations and access to a low-cost energy assessment. Energy Smart Colorado at Walking Mountains Science Center is a non-profit energy efficiency program that offers low cost energy assessments for homes and rebates for energy upgrades. This class serves as a starting place to link real estate agents to energy efficiency, and associated resources to build a robust program. Walking Mountains Sustainability will work with local real estate agents, organizations, and utilities to provide local information and make connections. This network is especially necessary for inefficient homes and how to sell inefficient homes and make time of sale home upgrades a reality.
This class will provide background on the Green MLS and how it was developed in conjunction with the real estate industry over the last 10 years, and share rating systems and financing options available to Buyers and Sellers at the time of sale, and how the Green MLS & available disclosures are integral in this process. We will also discuss the basics of energy audits, so REALTORs® have a general understanding of what is currently being used and available in their local community. Local rebates and resources will be shared that are free and available to REALTORs®, Buyers and Sellers now. And, we will share why sustainability is a win for REALTORs® and break out energy efficiency and renewable energy and talk about the benefits of improvements.
We will discuss:
- How to list an efficient property on their local MLS… what documentation is required and key words to use in their remarks. What is the Green MLS? Did you know there is a Green Disclosure?
- Give an overview of assets rating systems (HERS Index Rating / Home Energy Score) and energy audits; and what these tools mean
- Resources for Sellers and Buyers to find out if a home is efficient, including local resources of raters and organizations that provide an energy audit or the Home Energy Score; information about access to Energy Smart Colorado
- Leveraging the home inspection professional, or time under-contract, to bridge the information gap
- Local government and utility rebates, incentives, and programs for high performing homes and/or time of sale upgrades (including an overview of local incentives from utilities and Energy Smart, as it applies)
- Review of the known Energy Efficient Mortgages available, as well as stand-along options for financing energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements in homes, at the time of sale, or anytime