Job Opening – STEM Curiosity Lab Instructor
Job Title: STEM Curiosity Lab Instructor
Department: Youth Programs
Location: 318 Walking Mountains Lane, Avon CO 81620
Reports To: STEM Curiosity Lab Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Founded in 1998, Walking Mountains Science Center’s mission is to awaken a sense of wonder and inspire environmental stewardship and sustainability through natural science education. As part of a dynamic organization, you are part of a team of like-minded, spirited colleagues who are passionate about the mission of Walking Mountains and the impact it’s making in the community.
The STEM Instructor is a part-time position (10-15 hours per week), during the academic school year. The STEM Instructor is responsible for teaching STEM-based curriculum within the STEM Curiosity Lab After School Program offered to students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade at their public middle schools. Primary responsibilities include program instruction, materials preparation, and program data collection. This position begins in late December and ends in early May after the culmination of the STEM Fair activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research STEM topics relevant to curriculum to ensure appropriate lesson content
- Ensure curriculum content is scientifically accurate and age-appropriate
- Maintain organization and preparation for all lessons and materials
- Assist STEM Coordinator with maintaining detailed inventory and organizational systems for all materials, equipment supplies, and lesson plans
- Foster working relationships with school administration, office staff, and teachers
- Communicate program logistics at each location with STEM Coordinator and relevant school staff
- Maintain clear and effective communication with parents, teachers, school administrators, and STEM Coordinator
- Document student assessment, attendance, and student survey data and submit to the STEM Coordinator in a timely manner
- Assist STEM Coordinator with mentoring seasonal winter naturalists and high school interns
- Plan, prepare materials for, and teach inquiry based and engaging science lessons and programs
- Teach weekly STEM Curiosity Lab afterschool programs at 3 public middle schools (Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday)
- Align activities with student interests and allow for flexibility in content week-to-week
- Maintain a safe, healthy, supportive, and collaborative learning environment for students and fellow instructors
- Ability to leverage technology and online learning platforms, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in education or STEM-related field
- 1-3 years of formal or informal middle school-level teaching experience
- Knowledge of inquiry-based learning
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to provide exceptional customer service
- Positive, flexible, and friendly
- Self-motivated, team oriented, creative and organized
- Current driver’s license and safe driving record for the past 5 years
- Minimum CPR/First Aid certification by start date
- Ability to communicate in Spanish helpful but not required
- 70% classroom-based program instruction, 20% office work and program preparation, 10% other (travel to and from schools, STEM monthly team meetings, etc.)
- Open office work environment
- Personal vehicle preferred to travel to/from schools where programs are offered
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is $22 per hour.
Lara Carlson, Senior Programs Director, at email@example.com or (970)827-9725×129
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation (including perceived sexual orientation), transgender status, gender identity, physical, mental or learning disability, mental illness, military or veteran status, marital or civil union partnership with
a coworker or any other status which may be protected by Federal, State or local law.
Please complete the application in its entirety and be as accurate as possible.