Job Opening – Naturalist Internship
Job Title: Naturalist Intern
Department: Community Programs
Location: 318 Walking Mountains Lane, Avon CO 81620
Reports To: Hannah Rumble, Community Programs Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Internship Durations: May 26-September 3, 2021 and May 26-October 25, 2021
Position Posted: January 19, 2021
Application Deadline: February 12, 2021 and March 12, 2021. Applications will be reviewed after each deadline and interviews will be held on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
To Apply: Please complete the application form at the bottom of the page.
Naturalist Interns staff nature centers and lead environmental education and interpretive programs in the Avon, Colorado area. This is a full-time, seasonal professional growth position where Naturalists develop skills and knowledge in Rocky Mountain ecology, environmental education, interpretation, public speaking, and community conservation efforts throughout their tenure. Naturalist Interns will receive NAI’s Certified Interpretive Guide training and other professional development opportunities as part of this position.
Naturalist Interns help to operate and maintain a variety of nature centers, including:
- Mountain Discovery Center at Walking Mountains in Avon
- Vail Nature Center in Vail’s Ford Park
- Nature Discovery Center atop Vail Mountain
- US Forest Service Visitor Information Services in Minturn
Additionally, Naturalists plan and present public programs based out of these and several other partner locations. Naturalists gain experience with a large variety of environmental education programming throughout the Eagle Valley, such as nature walks, campfire talks, early childhood programs, and summer camp activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in on-site, paid training prior to beginning internship responsibilities
• Reliably follow given work schedule
• Research, plan and facilitate lesson plans for all assigned programs
• Provide visitors and programs participants with positive, educational experiences
• Operate a variety of nature centers, including building maintenance, trail maintenance, program registration, gift shop sales, and visitor services
• Work with other Naturalist Interns and Walking Mountains Science Center staff to complete assigned projects that further the organization’s mission
• At least three years of education towards a BA/BS degree in natural science, education, or an environmentally-related field;
• Enthusiasm for educating others about the natural environment and sustainability while expanding personal knowledge of Rocky Mountain ecology;
• Experience with formal or informal education of children and/or adults;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Current First Aid and CPR certifications;
• Able to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends);
• Able to hike up to 3 miles, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and lift up to 50 pounds;
• Positive, self-motivated, organized, and creative individual who can work independently and as part of a team of up to 15 people;
• Walking Mountains Science Center hires friendly, energetic and professional people;
• Desired: Speaks Spanish; has specialized knowledge in the creative arts or a natural science field (botany, ornithology, etc.)
• Naturalist Interns work primarily indoors at various nature centers with a significant amount of outdoor responsibilities. Outdoor responsibilities average 1-4 hours per day and include leading and planning programs, roving interpretation, trail maintenance, and invasive species removal. Naturalist Interns are scheduled time to plan programs in our open office environment but programs are held both on- and offsite throughout Eagle County. Each Naturalist Intern is given a different program schedule and works varied hours.
Compensation and Benefits
• $300 weekly stipend
• Housing in Avon, CO for the duration of the internship
• Naturalists also receive NAI Certified Interpretive Guide training and receive hours toward the Public Land Corps certification program for federal employment.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation (including perceived sexual orientation), transgender status, gender identity, physical, mental or learning disability, mental illness, military or veteran status, marital or civil union partnership with
a coworker or any other status which may be protected by Federal, State or local law.
Please complete the application in its entirety and be as accurate as possible.