Donor Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not answered with the frequently asked questions below please contact Sharon Schmidt, Senior Director of Development, at

Yes, we accept check and money order donations by mail to the following address:

Walking Mountains Science Center
Attn: Development Department
PO Box 9469
Avon, CO 81620

Yes, you can call us at 970-827-9725 x118 to make a secure donation.

Yes, our website is secured with a Web Server Certificate. All transactions are protected with a 256-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to make sure your information is 100% secure. For more information about this website’s security, click on the green padlock icon located in your browser bar or donation page.

No, at this time we do not accept PayPal donations.

We accept IRA charitable rollovers, stocks & securities transfers along with funds from a donor-advised fund. Please contact your financial advisor on how to donate using these vehicles and hear all about the tax benefits you can enjoy. For more information please contact Sharon Schmidt, Senior Director of Development, at

Yes, please contact Sharon Schmidt at and we’ll be happy to assist you.

Yes, donations made online will be processed in your local currency. When you donate online, the amount will be displayed in USD, but will be converted into your bank’s currency upon processing. We are not responsible for any transaction fees incurred by your financial institution.

If you’re 70.5 or older, you can donate ‘pre-tax’ dollars directly from a traditional IRA through a Qualified Charitable Deduction (QCD). There is no tax—Walking Mountains will receive the full value of your gift. And if you are facing Required Minimum Distributions, a QCD applies toward that amount. In the right situation, a QCD can be a wonderful option when designing a multi-year pledge.

Yes, Walking Mountains Science Center is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and all donations qualify as tax-deductible for United States federal income tax purposes and for Colorado State income tax purposes as permitted by law.

In some cases where you receive a good or service in relation to your donation, the full amount of your donation may not be deductible. Where this is applicable, Walking Mountains will provide you with information that will enable you to calculate the deductible amount of your donation.

In addition, Colorado taxpayers may be able to claim the benefits of the Colorado Child Care Contribution Credit (CCCC). Colorado provides a very generous tax benefit to encourage contributions to organizations such as Walking Mountains that provide facilities and services to benefit school children.  The CCCC allows donors to claim a 50% tax credit against their Colorado income tax liability for qualified contributions.  When combined with the Federal and State charitable deductions, the after-tax cost of a contribution to Walking Mountains Science Center could be reduced to less than 34 cents on the dollar as permitted by law.  Please contact your tax professional for details.  More CCCC details available at this link.

Yes, we provide tax receipts for all tax-deductible donations. Upon completing your online contribution, you will receive an email receipt. If you complete your contribution via check, money order, or wire, you will receive a tax receipt in the mail within 30 days. We are not tax professionals and recommend consulting one for any specific questions regarding your tax filings.

If you didn’t receive an emailed tax receipt, please check your spam or contact Tessa Allen at

You can cancel your monthly donation at any time by contacting Tessa Allen at

Yes, you’ll receive an emailed tax receipt for each recurring donation you give.

For any questions regarding your donation, monthly gifts or future donations to Walking Mountains please contact Sharon Schmidt at  For any questions regarding tax receipts or personal contact information, please contact Tessa Allen at